Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cleaning Basket and other Bathroom cleaning tips

I think I picked up this tip whilst watching Anthea Turner on 'Perfect Housewife'.  I have her books and she mentions it in them too (I'm not even close to being a perfect housewife! ;D )

It is so much easier to clean bathrooms when you have everything you need in one basket.  I have three bathrooms in this place, and I just carry this basket wherever it is needed.  Usually the only other thing I need are my cleaning cloths (aka retired cloth nappies).

 I have toilet cleaner, lemon scented Jiff, antibacterial wipes, a bleach solution, a citrus spray and an assortment of brushes in a small bucket.


These are the cleaning tools I used to scrub the grout in the bathroom.

I mixed up some Jiff with some water in the little blue bucket, then used the blue handled brush to scrub the grout.  I think I purchased that brush from Big W, and it is specifically designed to scrub grout.  It isn't soft like a toothbrush, but it isn't rough like a wire brush either.

The reason I used this brush is because mould has little 'roots' that get right into the grout.  If you only bleach the surface of the mould, it is still there and will 'appear' again quickly.

Although it's not pleasant work, I scrubbed the grout thoroughly first, then sprayed the grout (trying really hard to avoid the surface of the tiles) with the spray bottle that is clearly labelled (so I know exactly what has been in that bottle).  I used about 1/4 cup bleach to 1 1/2 cups water - a fairly strong solution.  You don't want to put straight bleach on because it can run down your tiles and discolour your bathtub.  I found out the hard way.  Long story ;D

Rinse everything thoroughly and it should be sparkling clean.

I usually use a natural cleaning solution in my bathroom, but every now and then it really needs a good going over with the strong stuff.  I think this was the messiest my bathroom has ever been!

Once it is clean, it is much easier to maintain.  At least, that's what I'm telling myself ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment